Call for Papers
Trilateral Young Scholars/Researchers Exchange Program
The Trilateral Cooperation Secretariat (TCS) in Seoul, ROK, August 2017
In the framework of Young Scholars/Researchers Exchange Program for Trilateral Cooperation that will take place in August 2017, in Seoul, up to 9 young researchers from China, Japan and the ROK (3 from each) will be selected by the organizing committee of the Secretariat to present their research on the various facets of Northeast Asian/East Asian International Relations. This Program aims at creating a platform for academic exchange/network, broadening existing regional cooperation involving young leaders with new perspectives, and opening a dialogue to address timely issues in trilateral cooperation.
In order to identify pressing issues in the regional cooperation through discussions and build strong partnerships with the research community in the areas of Northeast/ East Asian relations, the program will mainly target English-speaking young researchers enrolled in PhD program or holding PhD degree (PhD obtained after 2012) but not holding full-time faculty position.
The theme of papers can include but are not limited to:
- Building Bridges among China-Japan-Korea: Paths and Strategies
- Cooperation Regimes and Institutions: Role of Trilateral Cooperation Secretariat
- Finding a Common Ground: Cooperation and Discord in Northeast Asian Affairs
- Bridging the Gap: The Promise of Cooperation in a Polarized and Divided World
Selected researchers can present their studies dealing with specific topic under the suggested theme and explain how their work could contribute to the theme as well as to the work of the TCS. An open discussion will follow on how to intensify collaboration between different regions with emphasis on the presented ideas and policy suggestions.
Interested applicants should submit the following materials in English:
2. Statement of purpose (including the theme of their studies, previous research or activities related to this theme, a list of think-tanks/academic institutes/scholars in Korea they wish to visit or have a meeting with. Within 1,500 words)
A full research paper (4,500 - 9,000 words)
English-speaking young researchers holding CJK citizenship (PhD obtained after 2012 or PhD candidates holding a proof of enrolment in a PhD program), with expertise on issues related to trilateral cooperation or Northeast/East Asian international relations, preferably, but not meant to be limiting, in the field of politics and security.
The following criteria are suggested to be considered in the selection of papers:
- Papers with
√ Relevance to the trilateral cooperation and the work of the TCS
√ Future-oriented approach
√ Originality and innovation
√ Impact on the field, community, or beneficiaries
in the policy suggestions/recommendations
TCS will cover the following expenses for participants:
1) Round-trip air fare and accommodation in Seoul (up to 3 nights depending on the study visit schedule)
2) Local transportation expenses for official schedules
3) Honorarium: 300 US dollars
1) Date & Time:
A. Call for papers: May 22, 2017 – July 10, 2017
B. Exchange Program: in mid-August, 2017
- Seminar (TCS Office):
The TCS will organize an exchange seminar among the selected scholars/researchers to present their papers submitted. The participants will be encouraged to give feedbacks to the other participants’ works and learn from each other’s experiences in conducting studies/researches in the field of trilateral cooperation or Northeast/East Asian international relations.
- Study Visit (TBD)
The TCS will arrange a series of meetings with leading think-tanks such as Asan Institute, East Asia Institute, Sejong Institute etc. and/or with relevant senior researchers to provide young scholars with opportunities to build networks and contact for their research (for future chances to interview, access primary data/statistics). The applicants will be advised to submit the list of interlocutors they wish to meet with.
2) Venue: Seoul, the ROK
3) Host/ Organizer/Sponsor:
- The Trilateral Cooperation Secretariat (TCS)
- Focal point think-tanks of the NTCT: CFAU(China), JFIR(Japan) and KNDA(ROK)
4) Deadline to submit application: July 10, 2017
Application to be sent to: email@example.com
6) Result Announcement: July 17, 2017
*For inquiries, please contact Heejin Kim (Ms.) at firstname.lastname@example.org or at +82-70-4162-5340.